Friday, March 29, 2013

Phase 2: Extension Project Work - Scratch

Weeks 4 & 5

During weeks 4 and 5 of EDP4130 our task was to extend on our previously created games and animations.

In week 4 I extended on my race car game to include levels, different race tracks on each level and out of bounds areas. This activity pushed me to go beyond my comfort zone because the programming of these processes were not given to me. Therefore, I relied more on my higher order thinking abilities to break down what commands I would need to input and where in the programming sequence these belong.  

In week 5, I changed my initial ping-pong game to make the game harder and more enjoyable.  I achieved this by reprogramming the ball to go faster each time it rebounded off the moving block. Again, re programming the commands proved complex because it was beyond what was scaffolded. 

The skills required to complete these extension modifications link directly with the intentions of the Australian Curriculum Technologies learning area.  This document identifies the importance of providing students with opportunities to develop critical and creative thinking skills through problem based approaches to teaching and learning (ACARA, 2013).  

Extension activities play a pivotal role in supporting the development of higher order thinking skills and in developing deeper understandings.  These skills are essential within the classroom and Scratch provides an innovative and engaging platform to nurture in the development of these skills.  Scratch allows students to plan their own extension activities and program the appropriate commands to achieve their desired extension outcome.  

References:
Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority [ACARA]. (2013) Draft Australian Curriculum: Technologies, Retrieved March 3, 2013, from:
http://consultation.australiancurriculum.edu.au/Static/docs/Technologies/Draft%20Australian%20Curriculum%20Technologies%20-%20February%202013.pdf






No comments:

Post a Comment